Friday, March 5, 2010

Morimoto Black Obi Soba Ale

Reviewed By: Herr Rick
Style: Specialty Grain
State/Country: Oregon
ABV: 4.8%
Serving Type: 22 oz Bottle

Look: 7
Brownish red color, massive head that will not go away with insane lacing

Smell: 8
Roasted malt, nuts, buckwheat

Taste:
7.5
Up Front: Buckwheat, coffee. Finish: Chocolate, slight metalic taste, then more chocolate

Mouthfeel: 6
Light/Medium body, high carbonation

Drinkability: 7
The sharp carbonation bite made this harder to drink than it could have been

Overall Score: 7.1

Value:
5
Cost/12 oz serving: $4.20

Overall Impression:
It was impossible to pour this beer without excessive foaming, and since the head retention excellent, that was an issue. The high carbonation killed this beer in mouthfeel and drinkability as well. That sucks, because it had a pretty interesting flavor. I'm hoping this was an isolated incident.

2 comments:

  1. Herr Mike- I was hoping I could have tasted that beer with you....D'OOOH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, sorry dude. I needed a beer to bring with me down to SW Philly for my overnight shift, and that was it. I did that review at 3am - hahaha!!!

    As you can see, dod did not miss much.

    --Herr Rick

    ReplyDelete