Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Russian River Pliny the Elder

Reviewed By: Herr Rick
Style: Double/Imperial IPA
State/Country: California
ABV: 8%
Serving Type: On Tap @ Monk's Cafe

Look: 10
Deep golden color, clear, with a think head and excellent lacing

Smell: 10
A citrus hop ASSAULT!!! Sweet malt. Incredibly floral. The freshest smelling beer ever - ahhhhhhh

Taste: 9.5
Up Front: Tropical fruit, sweet malt. Finish: Hops balance out the the sweetness

Mouthfeel: 9.5
Medium body, creamy & smooth, and perfectly balanced

Drinkability: 10
Ridiculously crisp and refreshing

Overall Score: 9.8

Value:
9.5
Cost/12 oz serving: $7.00

Overall Impression:
It appears that I saved the best review for last amidst the Chaos at Monk's Cafe. Although Pliny the Younger is considered by many to be the best Double IPA on the planet, I feel that Elder was better, or at least more in line with my palate. Double IPA is my favorite year-round style, and this is without a doubt the best one I've ever had!!! I wish I could have had more, but I was fading fast. I think I may have to move to California...within walking distance of Russian River Brewing Co

No comments:

Post a Comment