Monday, August 1, 2011

Stone Pale Ale

Reviewed By: Rick S.
Style: American Pale Ale
State/Country: California
ABV: 5.4%
Serving Type: 12oz. Bottle

Look: 8
Deep amber color, hazy, with a medium, off-white head and good lacing

Smell: 7
Faint malt, and piney/resinous hops

Taste: 8
Hops coat the tongue, and give way to a mild malt flavor in the finish

Mouthfeel: 9
Medium body with medium-high carbonation. Slightly sticky and mouth coating

Drinkability: 8
Smooth, mellow, and refreshing

Overall Score: 8
Value:
9
Cost/12 oz serving: $1.78

Overall Impression:
I reviewed this beer by request. I'm glad I did, because I do not recall trying this one before, and I thought I tried everything from Stone. West Coast brewers are known for their over-the-top beers, and few brewers exemplify this more than Stone. Their beers are as bold and brash as the words displayed on their bottle. I still think they have the best bottles and verbiage going. But back to this beer...I was curious to see how Stone would do with a more "basic" style of beer, and I was not surprised that they pulled it off. It was nice to see that it was not overly hoppy. I dare say that it was balanced...very different than the beers that they are more famous for.  Definitely worth checking out!

No comments:

Post a Comment