Thursday, August 4, 2011

Cigar City Maduro

Reviewed By: Rick S.
Style: American Brown Ale
State/Country: Florida
ABV: 5.5%
Serving Type: 12 oz Bottle

Look: 8.5
Chestnut brown color, thick light brown head with nice lacing.


Smell: 9.5
Chocolate, caramel, roasted malt, butterscotch, and an interesting herbal/minty hop aroma.

Taste: 9
Up Front: Caramel and sweet malt, balanced by the hops in the middle, and finishing with pleasant nuttiness. There is also a lingering roasted flavor...and it hangs out for a while.

Mouthfeel: 9
Light body with medium carbonation, and oily finish from the oats

Drinkability: 8.5
Highly quaffable!

Overall Score: 8.9

Value:
9
Cost/12 oz serving: $1.96

Overall Impression:
This beer has an insanely good aroma...one of the best I've experienced in a brown ale. I wanted to say that I faintly detected fine cigars in the aroma and flavor, but I think that was my imagination. While I initially loved the roasted flavors, they wore on me as I drank it. Otherwise I would have given this a 10 for flavor, a 9 for drinkability, and a 9.2 overall. Hey, an 8.9 is still great!

Food Pairing:
The next time I enjoy this will be with some authentic BBQ, the food that American Brown Ale was made for! Because of the extra sweetness of this particular beer, it would even do well with BBQ sauce.

2 comments:

  1. Where did you find this beer??? I've been looking for it/waiting for it to drop into my lap for almost two years now (after I had the pleasure of pouring it a brewfest at the Navy Yard). I, too, live in Hamilton, NJ. Please tell me where you found this lovely brew!
    Hoping it's near to Hamilton, rather than far! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it in Philadelphia. I am pretty sure it was at a little craft beer store called Beer Heaven on the corner of Washington and Columbus. I think I've seen it @ Hawthornes and the Foodery as well

    ReplyDelete